Wednesday, April 13, 2011

the ultimate low (seminary edition)

once upon a time, when i was a mere sophomore in undergrad, my roomy marissa and i experienced the first ultimate low experience:


first, this is my rissa-rooney former roomy


technically these photos were from the ultimate low junior year, but i don't have pictures from sophomore year...you don't wanna know...this would be the explosion of my underwear drawer into our sled.


it was so bad that when our boys wanted to prank us, they had to literally cover everything w/ newspaper bc otherwise we wouldn't notice a difference. ps. i found that newspaper for weeks afterward.


that's a glimpse of how bad the dorm room looked.

so you get a visual. the first ultimate low occurred when we lived in Browne 210 during finals week. we had run out of money on our meal plans 3 weeks ago (for the second time), so we were living off of "free food" offered around campus for people's meetings, cereal we stole from the cafeteria, ramen noodles, curdled milk, and this large package of chocolate pudding cakes my mother sent us. this week seriously tested our sanity bc we weren't getting enough sleep, the dorm was practically overheating so we were dying, and we were clearly malnourished. so...to name a few... i began swearing at inanimate objects like my pen and my notebook. we began to wear clothes off the floor rather than doing laundry (as well as reuse dirty dishes). i yelled at our "ghost" when we had company in the middle of a bible study. etc. we often look back and laugh hysterically bc it was so pathetic.

welp. i've definitely hit the ultimate low of seminary. here are some examples:


oh hey, there's my desk which i never use bc there are simply too many things on it.


can you tell that i live on my futon most days? or that i was so frustrated with paul's letters that the packets for that class ended up in a frenzied mess all over the floor? you can't see it, but my garlic salt and a container of golden grahams are sitting on the arm of the futon. not to put together. but bc i keep forgetting about meals. so i keep putting garlic on my noodles and eating lots of golden grahams. thank God for my pasta boat!! seriously, one of the best inventions ever!!


a very attractive photo of me. it reflects just about how i feel right now. in complete disarray. 


once upon a time, i thought i could keep this area on my desk nice and neat by putting all my pens in my mug and keeping important books in a row and putting all my jewelry in a little container...now it looks like holly golightly's shelf in breakfast at tiffany's when fred baby brings her a book (and she says, oh well that looks so nice next to some bowl or something.....).


it amazes me how i can put clothes mere inches away from the laundry basket, but not inside of it. 


this may not seem like a big deal, but i am OCD (to the MAX!!) about a clean bathroom, and i have been leaving a trail of hair products out all week. it is not okay, and it makes me feel anxious.

also included in the ultimate low (seminary edition):
  • i have eaten approximately 6 small chocolate chip cookies plus 1/2 of a giant chocolate chip cookie today.
  • i also ate the entire container of ravioli (it was only 2 serving sizes, hehe).
  • i got hit on by a random man at the dollar store. who's line was, "i'm too old for you, honey, but you have a nice smile. come back here, now." 
  • i tried (and failed) to go in through the exit door at that same dollar store
  • some JERK scraped my car w/ his piece of crap truck at staples (crazy woman driver!!!)
  • one of my light-bulbs burnt out. i know i have extra lightbulbs somewhere, but i have no idea where they are.
the list continues. and so i ask: what about you all? what are the first things to take a backseat when you get stressed?? what silly things have you done?




3 comments:

  1. hahahahaha. I should take a picture of my room here because I've hit the ultimate low as well. Err, I've gone past the ultimate low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I laugh just thinking about ultimate lows. I don't recall having one senior year...? did I miss it, or did I just push it to the back of my mind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't remember, but i'd say it was probably when we made the nest on the floor and i slept there for a week.

    ReplyDelete